It comes as no surprise to anyone that the foods we enjoy are the ones we eat most! That is why, as part of National Nutrition Month 2014, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics encourages everyone to “Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right!”
Choosing the foods we like with the nutrients we need ….add physical activities we enjoy…..and we have developed a healthy lifestyle we can maintain for years to come. With 10,000 taste buds, the average adult has the ability to savor all different types of foods! And people can sense the same foods differently. So – don’t be afraid to try new foods or new ways of preparing favorite foods – there’s truly a world of flavors to explore!
Here are some practical ways to add nutrient-rich foods and beverages to your daily diet:
- Make oatmeal creamier by using 1% or skim milk. Mix in raisins, dried cranberries, cherries, blueberries, or chopped nuts.
- Make sandwiches on whole wheat or whole rye bread. Add slices of avocado, tomato, cucumber to lean meats.
- Spend a few minutes every morning to cut & bag vegetables or fruit so they are in easy reach when cravings for sweets become unbearable! Snap peas, carrots, celery sticks, broccoli or cauliflower flowerets, cucumbers, radishes, peppers. Apples, orange sections, grapes
- Top foods with chopped nuts or reduced fat sharp cheddar to get crunch/flavor/nutrients from the first bite!
- For dessert: blend mango, 1% milk, ice, pineapple juice – or stir chocolate syrup into a cup of coffee-flavored yogurt, freeze & ENJOY!
Limit: Sodas (both regular and diet) – substitute water or flavored water
Fatty meats, such as sausages, hot dogs, bacon
Visit the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics at www.eatright.org for more ideas on healthy food, fun games and quizzes!