Disability Benefit Specialist
About Disability Benefit Specialists
The Disability Benefit Specialist program is a service of the Aging and Disability Resource Center which is administered by Wisconsin Department of Health Services. Disability Benefit Specialists are trained in the areas of benefits and entitlement programs, as well as other issues. Disability Rights Wisconsin, located in Madison, Wisconsin, provides in-depth, ongoing training and technical assistance.
Who Should Use the Service?
Services are available to people ages 18 to 59 with physical disabilities, developmental disabilities, mental illness and substance use disorders.
How can a Disability Benefit Specialist help you?
- Provide information on public and private benefits and programs
- Assist in determining eligibility for benefits and programs you may be entitled to
- Assist in the completion of applications for benefits, programs and services
- Provide assistance in obtaining or retaining benefits and services
- Provide referrals, assistance and support on other matters including disability rights and the impact of earnings on financial eligibility for public benefits
- In some case, you may receive representation in formal appeals related to denials of eligibility, termination of benefits or overpayment of public and private benefits.
What programs can a Disability Benefit Specialist help with?
- Medicaid (Medical Assistance)
- Social Security Disability Income (SSDI)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Medicare, including Part D
- Prescription drug assistance
- Insurance issues
- Housing and utility issues
- Low-income tax credits
How Do I Contact the Disability Benefit Specialist?
Simply dial 1-877-794-2372 to be connected with your local Aging and Disability Resource Center.
What about Confidentiality?
Disability Benefit Specialist services are confidential. The Disability Benefit Specialist will not disclose information without the informed consent of the customer.
What is the Cost?
There is no charge for the services a Disability Benefit Specialist provides.