Why should I participate in a support group?
A support group is made up of people who have common interests or experiences. Typically, support groups focus on one particular issues such as cancer, dementia, or caregivers. Support groups can offer emotional and moral support along with a lot of practical information on medical treatments, research, and legal and financial resources.
Participating in a support group may help you:
- Feel less isolated or alone
- Reduce stress, depression or anxiety
- Have a better understanding of what you are dealing with
- Talk about your feelings
- Learn about alternative treatment options
- Gain a sense of control in your situations
Please call your local ADRC for more an updated listing of support groups in your area! 800.514.0066